Saturday, June 25

Gilad Shalit: 5 Songs for 5 Years in Captivity

At 19 years old, I'm free to enjoy summer with my family and friends. The sun in shining, music blasting, life is good. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to be Gilad Shalit, who at age 19 was kidnapped by terrorist group Hamas and has since been held hostage in an unknown location, denied contact with the outside world since 2006. Who knows what kind of mental and physical abuse he's been facing?

Today marks Gilad's 5th year of torture. In his honor, I've put together 5 songs that try to help us understand the idea of captivity, desperation, and descent into darkness. Please keep Gilad in your mind and heart as you listen to these lyrics.

Amazon - M.I.A.
Stockholm Syndrome - Blink 182
One - Metallica
Climbing up the Walls - Radiohead
I Was a Lover - TV on the Radio





FREE GILAD


I'm sure there are so many songs out there that would better fit this list. Please comment with a song that's explicitly about being held prisoner or makes a good attempt at explaining the feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment